Apple cider vinegar, or cider vinegar, is one of the most popular alternative health remedies in use today. It has been used since ancient times as a remedy for many different ailments. Hippocrates is said to have used it as an antibiotic.
Most of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar are anecdotal and have not been scientifically confirmed. We make no claims about any of the health benefits listed below but offer them up as a starting point for further research on your part.
1. When diluted with water 50/50 it is often used as a toner for the face. Caution should be used when applying as cider vinegar is very dangerous to the eyes.
2. A bath of apple cider vinegar is said to reduce the effects of sunburn. The vinegar soaked on a cloth and applied to sunburn may also be used.
3. Many women have tried a douche of apple cider vinegar as a remedy for yeast infections. However, many others claim that vinegar causes or worsens yeast infections. Some say it depends on the brand used.
4. There are many claims that apple cider vinegar is a powerful weight loss aid. Many people use it in salad dressings or drink a tablespoon diluted in a glass of water once or twice per day.
5. It is said to treat dandruff by destroying the fungus Malassezia furfur and restoring the PH balance of the scalp. Some people recommend applying a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar, applying it to the scalp, and leaving it to dry. Others suggest applying a couple of tablespoons of straight vinegar to the scalp and leaving it on for an hour or two before rinsing.
7. A reported treatment for warts is to soak the affected area for 20 minutes per day in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water.
8. It is said to be a natural lowerer of bad cholesterol.
9. A teaspoon of cider vinegar in a glass of water per day is said to lower blood pressure.
10. Mother of vinegar, the layer of film that forms on top of the cider, is believed to have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
These ten benefits of apple cider vinegar are just a few of the reported uses for it. The great thing about this natural remedy is how inexpensive it is. If you're ready to give it a try, we suggest Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar.
Have you used apple cider vinegar with positive or negative results? Post your experiences in the comment section below and let us know.