Some of you may have eaten eggs over the Easter weekend so I thought I'd post ten health benefits of eggs (and it doesn't count if they were chocolate eggs!)
1. Eggs are great for the eyes. According to one study, an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton due to the carotenoid content, specifically lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients are more readily available to our bodies from eggs than from other sources.
2. In another study, researchers found that people who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts, also because of the lutein and zeaxanthin in eggs.
3. One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.
5. They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
6. They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.
7. New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.
8. Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.
9. Eggs may prevent breast cancer. In one study, women who consumed at least 6 eggs per week lowered their risk of breast cancer by 44%.
10. Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.
Check out 10 Cool Breakfast Prep Tools for some great breakfast gadget gift ideas for you or that special person on your gift list.
10 Cool Breakfast Prep Tools
How to Soft Boil Eggs
How to Poach an Egg
How to Peel a Hard Boiled Egg
The Hard Boiled Egg Diet
Lutein and Eye Health
20 Health Benefits of Turmeric
10 Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
10 Natural Remedies for Arthritis
10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon
12 Foods Rich in Lutein and Zeaxanthin
Side Effects of Lutein
Lutein and Macular Degeneration
10 Fruits and Vegetables High in Antioxidants
Foods That Are Inflammatory
10 Foods That Prevent Hair Loss
Zinc for Hair Loss