Garlic, also known as the Stinking Rose, is one of the world’s most popular ingredients and for good reason – it adds flavor and aroma to food like nothing else can. The good news is that it’s good for us. The bad news is that once we start eating it more often we may not smell so great. The solution? Get everyone you know to eat garlic, too! Problem solved. Here are 20 health benefits of garlic.
1. A compound in garlic called ajoene is a natural antioxidant that has anti-clotting abilities, thus helping in the prevention of heart disease and strokes.
2. Ajoene has also been shown to stop the spread of skin cancer cells when applied topically.
3. Compounds in garlic have been shown to prevent prostate cancer.
4. Garlic may protect against colon cancer by protecting colon cells from toxins and inhibiting the growth of cancer cells if they do develop. The selenium and vitamin C found in garlic are also known to protect against colon cancer.
5. Research suggests garlic may decrease the ability of H. pylori to cause ulcers and stomach cancer.
6. Research has shown that cooking garlic with meat reduces carcinogenic chemicals in cooked meat that are believed to be linked to breast cancer in meat-eating women.
7. The allicin in garlic has been shown in some studies to promote weight loss in rats.
8. The allicin in garlic has been shown to lower blood pressure.
9. Garlic has been proven to lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol.
10. It has been shown to reduce the carcinogenic effects of asbestos exposure.
11. It fights free radicals.
12. It has been shown to reduce inflammation and pain in the body, making it beneficial for people with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Cold and flu prevention: Because of its antiviral and antibacterial properties as well as its vitamin C content, garlic is a powerful agent against the common cold as well as the flu.
16. It has been shown to fight the germs that cause tuberculosis.
17. A component of garlic called diallyl disulfide has been shown to kill leukemia cells.
18. It is a good source of vitamin B6.
19. It has been shown to be an effective anti-fungal agent for treating yeast infections, vaginitis, and athlete’s foot.
20. Garlic has been shown to protect rats from diabetes complications such as retinopathy, kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, and neuropathy.
Want to give the gift of garlic? Check out 15 Gift Ideas for Garlic Lovers.