Allergy to Cinnamon

allergy to cinnamonSince I’ve been posting a lot about the benefits of cinnamon lately I think it is also important to mention that many people have an allergy to cinnamon.

There’s a great discussion about cinnamon allergy on Metafilter.

Since the 19th century, there have been reports of cinnamon allergy. Because many products contain cassia and not true cinnamon, it may be difficult to figure out which one you are allergic to. Most “cinnamon” on grocery store shelves is actually cassia. If you have an unidentified allergy that occurs when you eat foods that contain generic “spices” or cinnamon, you might want to investigate the possibility of a cinnamon allergy.

If you know that it’s cassia that you’re allergic to, check out our list of the best true Ceylon cinnamon powders to make sure you’re getting the right kind: 4 Best Cinnamon Powders


Leave a Reply

137 Comments on "Allergy to Cinnamon"

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

I just completed a back patch allergy test and learned I’m allergic to cinnamon to determine why I got lip issues (symptoms varied: swollen, dry prune-like, cracked, flaky, itchy)! I’ve never noticed issues eating it in donuts, sweets or oxtail stew before. I checked my lip products and didn’t find cinnamon so deemed a balm safe after not using for months and guess what? Lips were tingly and swollen and still are (both)! 😞

I developed an allergy to cinnamon about a year and a half ago. It started with a light cough and built up to throat swelling. My allergy progressed to the point that the next time I ingest cinnamon I’ll go into anaphylactic shock. If you have a cinnamon allergy especially one that causes any breathing problems please go to an allergist and get an epi pen before it gets too bad. I went to my regular doctor and he didn’t even take my allergy serious and told me to take benadryl even though my throat completely closes within minutes.

I’ve always been fine with cinnamon, until recently my friend turned me on to cinnamon toothpicks. I noticed that they burned a few taste buds and stopped chewing them for a couple days. When I had a few cinnamon toothpicks a few days later, I woke up the next morning with my lips swelled to the point that my speech was slurred, there were also blisters covering my lips, tongue and inside of my mouth. I’m taking antihistamines, which help with the swelling. There needs to be a law forcing companies to disclose what has cinnamon in it. These companies… Read more »

I have a cinnamon allergy and whenever I eat something with cinnamon or use a product with cinnamon I break out in hives. Yesterday I didn’t consume any cinnamon however I had a few marinated vegtables (artichoke hearts, hot pepper, roased red peper and olives) on my salad. By the following morning I had a minor outbreak of hives. I’ve read that Benzoates E210-E219 which is found in pickled items is something someone with a cinnamon allergy should avoid. Does anybody know anything about this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks…..

I have a cinnamon allergy and whenever I eat something with cinnamon or use a product with cinnamon I break out in hives. Yesterday I didn’t consume any cinnamon however I had a few marinated vegtables (artichoke hearts, hot pepper, roased red peper and olives) on my salad. By the following morning I had a minor outbreak of hives. I’ve read that Benzoates E210-E219 which is found in pickled items is something someone with a cinnamon allergy should avoid. Does anybody know anything about this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks…..

I have a cinnamon allergy and whenever I eat something with cinnamon or use a product with cinnamon I break out in hives. Yesterday I didn’t consume any cinnamon however I had a few marinated vegtables (artichoke hearts, hot pepper, roased red peper and olives) on my salad. By the following morning I had a minor outbreak of hives. I’ve read that Benzoates E210-E219 which is found in pickled items is something someone with a cinnamon allergy should avoid. Does anybody know anything about this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks…..

Fed my 2 yr old some cinnamon toast earlier. It just was toast, butter, cinnamon, sugar. Her skin became red and inflammed around the mouth and areas where it had set while she was eating the whole piece of toast. She is ok. Called Dr and they said give Benedryl every 6 hours. I am doing now. She didn’t choke, cough, or stop breathing and seemed to have no trouble at all. But I am still watching her. Probably just a skin reaction allergy. Hoping so cuz she loved that cinnamon toast. I did too. Cinnamon is a strong spice… Read more »
I recently found out that I have the same problem. Around Thanksgiving I got little white bumps all over my tongue that I am guessing they are canker sores. I also got them all on the inside of my lip and the insides of my cheeks. My mouth and tongue were very swollen. It lasted about five days. I was going crazy and couldn’t eat hardly anything. I went to the pharmacy and they told me to try this medicated mouthwash. I used it for day about ten times a day. I would feel relief, but it was only temporary.… Read more »
Glad to see that i am not the only one who thinks they r having an allergic reaction to cinnamon. Two months ago, i bought a huge pack of Big Red gum or cinnamon gum. I usually am able to eat it and actually enjoy it. But recently, after i tried to eat it again (after the first time when my tongue swelled up) the reaction is a lot worse i am now experiencing it and cannot eat or use spicy toothpaste (i have been using fruity) my tongue is swelled up and it is very painful idk what to… Read more »
To clarify my previous comment, the type of oatmeal we used in the sock was 1 cup, dry rolled oats. Tying off the end, we placed the sock of oats into the hot water and let steep. Did not put our son the bath until he could tolerate the temp. We rubbed the oatmeal-sock over his body. Later we boiled 1 cup more rolled oats for about 2 1/2 min. in 4 cups of water. He drank the water. Likewise we fed him the oats before lying down. We narrowed the cause of his symptoms down to the red dye#40… Read more »
wpDiscuz