Most people know how to bake a potato, but are unsure how to bake a sweet potato because they think that the steps must be very different. The truth is, there are many similarities in the baking process. Here’s how to bake a sweet potato in six easy steps.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare the sweet potatoes by washing them well and then pat them dry with a paper towel or lint free hand towel. Pierce each potato a few times with a fork or a paring knife.
3. Prepare the baking sheet by lining it with foil, then place the sweet potatoes on the foil. You may consider brushing them with a little bit of oil or butter, but this step is optional if you want a low fat meal.
4. Put the baking sheet in the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes. Most ovens will cook the potatoes in 45 minutes, although a longer baking time may be needed if you are using large sweet potatoes or if you are cooking a lot of sweet potatoes at the same time. It is a good idea to rotate the potatoes halfway through the baking time.
5. After 45 minutes, check the sweet potatoes to see if they are done. A fork should be able to easily poke into the middle of the sweet potato. Allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes before serving.
6. Cut a slice in each of the sweet potatoes and serve with any toppings that you like. Popular toppings include butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, or chopped pecans.