There are many ways to cook shrimp, but boiling them is of the easiest methods. If you want to know how to boil shrimp, follow these five basic steps.
1. In a large stockpot, add water and any other seasonings that you would like to use. Seasonings may include onions, lemons, garlic, salt, etc. Bring the water to a boil on the stovetop.
2. Once the water starts boiling, add the shrimp and cover with a lid. Be sure the water is completely covering the shrimp. Add more water if needed.
3. Bring the water back to a boil again and stir regularly with a long spoon to keep the shrimp from settling on the bottom of the pot.
4. You will know that the shrimp are cooked when the flesh turns opaque. You can take a knife and cut into one to test if needed. Medium sized shrimp need to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes after the water returns to a boil and jumbo shrimp need about 7 or 8 minutes.
5. Drain the shrimp into a colander. Serve them with a seafood dipping sauce or use in your favorite recipe.