Learning how to grill shrimp is fun! You can be creative by adding other vegetables on the skewers and shrimp kabobs are a great way to grill an entire meal at once. Here’s how to grill shrimp in six easy steps.
Note: Bamboo skewers may catch fire on the grill, so it is best to use metal skewers. But, if you are using bamboo skewers, then allow them to soak for 15 minutes in cold water before putting on the shrimp.
1. Peel and devein the shrimp and then rinse them thoroughly under cold water.
2. Using a marinade can be a great way to add flavor. Allow the rinsed shrimp to soak in the marinade for at least 15 to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
3. If you are using skewers, push the shrimp through the skewer evenly.
4. Heat up the grill. It is best to use medium heat. Use oil on the grate to prevent the shrimp from sticking.
5. Put the shrimp skewers on the grill grate and allow them to cook for about one and a half minutes. Turn the skewers and cook them for another 60 to 90 seconds depending on the size. If you are using larger shrimp, allow them to grill longer on each side.
6. When the shrimp is cooked all the way through, remove it from the grill and serve. You will know that it is done because the center of the shrimp will be an opaque color.