Learning how to peel an avocado can be a trick, especially because some of the flesh may be wasted if it isn’t done correctly. Here’s how to peel an avocado in six easy steps.
1. Place the avocado on a cutting board and use a knife to cut it in half lengthwise. You will feel the knife hit the pit in the middle, and then rotate the avocado all the way around with the knife still inserted in order to cut around the entire avocado.
2. Gently hold both halves of the avocado in each hand and twist to pull them apart.
3. One of the avocado halves will have the pit. Place that half on the cutting board with the pit side up and hit the pit with the knife blade so that it embeds into the avocado pit. Pull the knife away twisting just a little bit, so that the pit comes out with it.
4. When you peel the avocado, you will need to work with one half at a time. Pick it up and hold it in one hand. Insert a spoon just below the skin and the flesh. Run the spoon along the edge and into the middle of the fruit, keeping it as close to the skin as possible and scoop out the flesh in one piece.
5. Remove any dark spots on the flesh, discard the skin, and chop or mash the avocado as needed.
Note: This peeling method takes a little bit of practice, but it is the fastest and most efficient way to scoop out avocado flesh in one piece. Also, the avocado will begin to discolor when it is exposed to the air, so use it immediately or cover it with plastic wrap. A little bit of lemon or lime juice is a good way to prevent the browning from occurring.