Why buy a roast chicken at the store when you can make one at home and season it to your taste? Use organic, hormone and antibiotic free chicken for a healthy, delicious meal. Here’s how to roast a chicken in 10 easy steps.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Calculate the cooking time: figure in 20 minutes for each pound, plus it’s a good idea to add in an extra 15-20 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the package, reach into the neck cavity and remove the innards. You can use these innards in another recipe or simply throw them away if you don’t like them.
4. Wash the chicken with cool water, rinse the inside and the outside of the bird. Be sure to leave the skin on during the roasting (you can remove the skin after the meat is done cooking if you like). Pat the chicken dry with a towel.
5. Use a shallow wire rack set to roast the chicken. Grease the top of the skin with a little bit of olive oil or butter.
6. Season the meat with herbs, salt and/or pepper. You can also place some seasoning within the body to add extra flavor. Another option for flavor is to put some garlic and sliced onion into the body cavity.
7. Put the chicken into the heated oven and baste it with the juices every 20 minutes.
8. During the last 10-15 minutes of cooking time, turn the heat up to 425 to make the skin crisper.
9. Be sure that the chicken is completely cooked by cutting into the thickest part and checking for pinkness. If it is pink, then put it back into the oven. You can also test it by wiggling a drumstick – if it moves freely then the meat is cooked.
10. Allow the chicken to sit for 15 minutes before carving.