Steaming broccoli is one of the best ways to prepare it because the steaming process helps you to avoid overcooking. It is best to eat vegetables with as little cooking as possible because enzymes are killed and the nutritional value of the food is decreased when they are overcooked. Here’s how to steam broccoli in five easy steps.
1. Prepare the broccoli by washing it well and then chop it into bite-size pieces. Discard the bulk of the stem and any other unwanted pieces.
2. Put about an inch of water into a pan and bring it to a boil. It is best to use a steamer if you have one, but it’s ok if you don’t.
3. Put the broccoli into the steamer or add it directly into the hot water. Reduce the heat to medium and allow it to cook for about five minutes.
4. You will know that the broccoli is done as soon as it can easily be pierced with a fork. Don’t overcook because the broccoli will become too soggy and much of the nutritional value will be lost.
5. Remove from the heat, strain, and serve immediately.
Use your imagination on ways to serve it. Try drizzling a bit of garlic infused olive oil, butter, salt and pepper, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, or a little bit of cheese.